Saturday, July 26, 2014

World Map Quilt

This one is for my sister.  Shhhhh..... she's having a baby in December.  I'm so over the moon excited for her!  Anyway, they're world travelers so this quilt is right up their alley.

I had this fabric in my stash.  No clue when I bought it.  I know I got it at Joann's as a remnant.  A full panel as a remnant.  Yes, thank you!  I bought it, figuring I'd do something for my classroom with it later down the line.  Never happened.  It got buried in my piles and mounds of fabrics.  A few weeks ago, I stumbled on it when I was cleaning and organizing my disaster.  When I saw it, I knew IMMEDIATELY that it was meant for them.  My sister is from the Bay Area of California.  Her husband is from England.  I put a heart at each location on the map.  I toyed with tying it in all the places they have been (and can still do that later) but didn't like that idea since it's for a tiny baby.  I knew I had to do something with the printed lines of latitude that were on it.  DING!  Use those to quilt on!  Then I figured out lines of longitude and did 0, 60, and 120 east and west.  Done!  I did stitch in the ditch on the border and bound it in black to make it look like a frame.  I think it turned out pretty darn cute!  Hope they love it and it gets lots of use to snuggle and play on the floor with!



No comments: