Sunday, October 9, 2011

How To Make A Taggie

So, you've seen those super cute baby things called "taggies" and you want to make your own? They're SUPER easy to do and you can whip one up in about an hour.

Supplies
1. 2 pieces of fabric cut to your desired size. I like to do squares. Depending on the size of fabrics I have, I like to do mine 15-18" square. Wash and dry your fabrics first. I like to use flannel paired with fleece. 2 layers of fleece is pretty thick for some machines to stitch thru. Use whatever fabrics you want to. Be creative!
2. Ribbons. I tend to like them to be matchy all the way around but I've seen them made with all different ribbons. Try to use different textures and patterns. Ric-rak is fun too.
3. Thread
4. Sewing machine
5. Scissors or rotary cutter & cutting mat
6. Ruler
7. Pins

Ok- ready to get started?
1. Cut your fabric to your desired size. Here, my squares are 18"

2. Cut your ribbons to 6". Fold in half and press with a warm iron. If the iron's too hot the ribbon may melt.

3. Take one piece if fabric and place it face up. Pin the ribbons, folded end toward the center of the fabric, around the outside. I do mine starting 2" from the corners and then about 2" apart. I also do them 2" in from the edge. Be sure to pin them all down. Put sturdy ribbons at the corners for hanging on things.

4. Place your other fabric face DOWN over the piece you just pinned all the ribbons to. Match the edges as best you can and pin the heck out of it. I start by pinning the center and a few inches out from the center then I pin between all the ribbons and at the corners.

5. Stitch all the way around using a 1/2" seam allowance. Be sure to leave space for turning. I usually take one of the ribbons out and leave about 5" open.

6. Clip the corners to get a nice corner when you turn it.

7. Turn it right side out after reaching in and removing all the pins. Trust me, remove the pins before trying to turn it. Poke the corners out. I like to use a chopstick for this.

8. Iron it smooth and be sure to iron the fabric inwards at the opening you left for turning.

9. Pin the ribbon you left out into the opening. Pin around the taggie to keep the front and back neat for top stitching.

10. Stitch around the taggie. I like to do 2 lines. I just use the sewing machine foot for the measure here. One line is the outer edge of the foot and the other is the inner line. I think they're 3/8" and 1/8" (maybe ?)

11. You're done! :) Sit back and smile at the money you saved and the cuteness you created! If you make a taggie using this tutorial, drop me a note and let me know how it turned out.

4 comments:

Just Jaime said...

Thanks so much! I pinned this and stumbled it! Now I'll use it tonight =)

Holly Young said...

this looks so easy I think even I could do it.


and that's saying something LOL. But it's an adorable taggie!

Cassie said...

This is so cute! I think my grandma is giving me her sewing machine. I may have to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

Taggies are fun cute lovable things that are fuzzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!